Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Personal Views on Being Overweight

Growing up in today's society is very difficult. This is because we are very media oriented. The first thing people notice is the way a person looks. This happens whether you watch television or read a magazine. When a person looks good there are usually compliments that go along with this individual in some way shape or form. You might hear someone say "She looks good".. When a person is on the heavier side the statements that are made turn themselves in comments, which tend to be on the negative side. This is unfortunate.

I grew up in a household that lead to divorce. The way to console me and make me feel good was to feed me. This was a way to pacify the emotional turmoil that I felt by no longer having the traditional type family around me. This probably would have been easier if I was not an only child. Having no one to turn to made food my best friend. As I grew up I attended weight loss camps etc. only to gain the weight back, times ten.

I guess you can say that I never understood what it was to eat right. If there was an award for being a Yo Yo dieter I probably could have taken first prize. When it came to living my daily life being overweight constantly hindered me. For example,I was picked last during gym class or I was a wall flower when it came to going to singles functions. As far as online dating was concerned there always seemed to be some sort of a dilemma when it came to joining these dating sites. For example, what answer would I give when asked what I look like. Do I tell the truth and feel ashamed or do I lie to fit in? Since I have a kind heart and honest soul I made the earlier choice. Men seemed to like that I wore my heart on my sleeve. This was until they saw a picture of me. Once again to mask this I joined BBW personal ad sites. This way the people that I met knew that I was large sized. Boy did I hate words like that. These sites once again acted like a cushion (pardon the pun) and the people that answered me already knew that I was queen sized. Unfortunately all this lead to my physical attributes and I was not able to relay any type of message about what was on the inside of my being. Once again I blame this on society.

Bringing things current, on May 14,2008 I woke up and decided that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I felt sick and did not like the way I looked. I got on the scale which rose to a number that I never knew existed and said to myself that this was the day that I was going to do something about this. I looked at myself in the mirror and made a pact that I would join Weight Watchers. Someone would have to put a gun to my head if I was going to watch the scale go foward instead of going backward. That night I joined the Weight Watchers program. (note this is my own personal views) and have not turned back. I have now learned how to eat healthy and as a result I have lost 42 lbs in 8 months on the program.

Since this weight loss things have changed in a very positive way. People compliment my efforts and think it is wonderful that I made may mind up to do something. This time is the last time I am doing something like this. I want to win the Yo Yo battle once and for all. I look good and feel good too. Do not get me wrong. I have a lot more weight to lose but am on the positive road of this journey and now refuse to take any shortcuts. I am going to win. Tune into updates on my endeavors. Thanks for taking the time to read my first story.

No comments: